Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Oscars 2019 - Live Blog

Oscars 2019 - Live Blog




The Oscars are here, Ladies and Gentlemen. Come back here for Live Updates as well as my thoughts on the wins, proceedings, as well as anything else that may come up during tonight's broadcast. This post will updated regularly throughout the show. 

Final Thoughts - I thought that while nothing glaringly bad or good happened tonight, I don't know if I would consider that a good thing. I think that a little spice was missing without a host. I do wish they had gotten someone, and seeing people like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler present just made me wish even more that there had been people to present. But oh well. Thus is life. 

As for the winners, there were a few surprises, but overall, nothing that came completely out of the blue, I think. I think Green Book came out of nowhere, but other than that, nothing much. It was a good show though; it almost always is. 

8:19 PM - That. Came out of nowhere. NOWHERE. Congratulations to Green Book

8:14 PM - I think at this point it's a foregone conclusion that Roma is going to win, but then again, Bohemian Rhapsody might come out and take it. 

8:08 PM - Alfonso with the win. He's come far since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. 

8:07 PM - Del Toro apparently very sick, but he's here. 

7:59 PM - Olivia Coleman coming out of virtually nowhere and taking the Oscar. I don't think many people saw that coming. 

7:58 PM - Nothing much happening in the interim. Now we're looking at best actress, and my pick is the actress from Roma. Although this one could go to anyone. 

7:46 PM - I think no matter what happens tonight, Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen have won more than their fair share. They're sweeping teh board. 

7:35 PM - So many good people have passed on. One last time, RIP Stan Lee. 

7:28 PM - If there was a no brainer in any category, it was this one. Shallow takes the best song. Lady Gaga is giving the best Oscar speech of the entire night.
7:28 PM - This one has to go to Shallow. Best Song goes to Shallow. 

7:24 PM - Stunned. I thought for sure that Mary Poppins: Returns was going to win this one. But the awards keep coming to Black Panther. 

7:15 PM - Spike takes it. Well done, Sam Jackson. Well done.

7:15 PM - Let's see if this can go 2/2. I'm looking for Beale Street to take this.

7:12 PM - Green Book takes it! Original Screenplay. Another win for me. Also, Brie and Sam onstage is making me more excited for Captain Marvel than any trailer has thus far. Kudos, Marvel. 

7:10 PM - Captain Marvel and Nick Fury onstage.




7:00 PM - This song is going to take it. Even amidst Bradley Cooper's offkey singing. This song has so much riding on it to not win. 

6:58 PM - No words.

6:56 PM - If Ready: Player One doesn't win this for the amount of CGI that was poured into this film, I don't know what will be. 

6:47 PM - End Game makes an appearance. But not in the way we hoped. 

6:41 PM - Wayne's World is back!!

6:31 PM - Black Panther may not win tonight, but another comic book movie did. Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse winning was huge for the comic book genre. 
6:30 PM - Some kind of Academy museum? Count me in. Looks incredible.

6:24 PM - Mahershala takes another Oscar for Green Book. He's becoming a big name in the industry, and it's super exciting to see where he's going to go. 

6:19 PM - Bohemian Rhapsody is taking the Oscars by storm. I wonder how many times I'm going to hear that guitar riff this evening. 

6:17 PM - Trevor Noah giving one of the best introductions to a film.

6:10 PM - I don't remember liking this song that much in the movie. But here it is at the Academy Awards. 

6:09 PM - KEAGAN MICHAEL-KEY WITH THE ENTRANCE OF THE NIGHT.

6:07 PM - This one seemed like a no brainer. And it was. Roma takes another on its way to a best picture (we hope). 

6:00 PM - And it does! Another one for me.

5:59 PM - Hoping Bohemian can pull another one out.

5:56 PM - You would think that a movie that relied entirely on sound would win some award. But I guess not. Still, Bohemian Rhapsody is as good of a pick as any. 

5:53 PM - Serena Williams in the house. Interesting. 




5:49 PM - Hudson has a great voice, but I'm not sure about the song. Didn't quite ring with me. My pick is still Shallows. Not that I could change my pick anyways...

5:47 PM - First live song, called I'll Fight. Never heard it before, but excited to hear Hudson perform. 

5:45 PM - They are absolutely rolling through these categories! Another win for me! Roma wins the cinematography. Well-deserved. Cuaron is building himself up to be one of the greats. 

5:43 PM - That speech by the Black Panther production designer was awesome. Absolutely amazing. Chills. 

5:40 PM - Well done to Black Panther! Not at all what I expected. I thought the production design of Mary Poppins: Returns was a little better and more colorful, but totally deserved by Black Panther as well. 

5:37 PM - Captain America waiting in the wings. 

5:30 PM - McCarthy taking her time, with her fabulous costume, but that's another win. Black Panther had some of the most vibrant and culturally sensitive costumes, as well as playing straight into the story. Well done. 




5:28 PM - That was one of the most awkward Oscar speeches... they didn't know whawt to do when they were being played off

5:26 PM - Swung and missed, 1 for 2. I thought Mary: Queen of Scots would win but well-deserved for Vice. 

5:25 PM - Giving us a good look at Vice. It's one of the films that does have a good shot at winning, in my opinion. But we'll have to see. Christian Bale kills it again as Dick Chaney, as well as Rockwell and Amy Adams. 

5:18 PM - Speeches are running a little long tonight. They're being played off now.

5:!5 PM - And now Aquaman takes the stage...

5:13 PM - Wonderful speech by Regina King, extremely heartfelt. I will say that if the goal was to shorten the show though, we might be in for a long night. But without a host things could be going on for a long time. 

5:12 PM - So far so good! I'm one for one. Regina King winning best supporting actress for her role in If Beale Street Could Talk. 

5:07 PM - Maya Rudolph straight-up saying that there will be no host. They're being direct about it. Good move to bring out Amy Poehler and Tina Fey beforehand. The more that this is going on, I wish they hosted. 




5:05 PM - Great montage - lot of great moments from 2018

5:04 PM - Good start... we'll see what's going to happen now...

5:00 PM - Oh, here we go!! Queen has taken the stage. What a way to start the Oscars... maybe there won't be a host but this might have been the best alternative. 

 4:53 PM - And we're live! Coverage of the 91st Academy Awards begins now, from yours truly! I'm really interested to see how the Oscars are going to handle the loss of host Kevin Hart. We're about to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment