Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Detective Pikachu - Trailer 1 Review

Detective Pikachu - Trailer 1 Review



The first trailer for Detective Pikachu has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: The picture above says it all, does it not?

I absolutely thought the idea of this movie was one of the worst that Hollywood's ever thought up in its think-tank of blockbuster filmmakers. And yet here we are, with a trailer, and you know what?

It was charming.

Let me get a few things out of the way firstly. I think the acting does not look good at all. Save for Ryan Reynold's voice as Detective Pikachu, I think Justice Smith and company don't look good at all in their roles, at least from what I saw. I saw some glimpses of bad acting, and that scared me a little.

Additionally, the story looks like it has the potential to be very weak. I immediately smell a movie studio trying to take full advantage of the "cuteness" and marketability of a character, and while that can work in some cases, it usually doesn't end up in a good film.

But, my goodness, is Pikachu cute. If anything AT ALL is going to draw me to the theater, it's going to be seeing Pikachu onscreen voiced by the king of fourth-wall, nerd IP, Ryan Reynolds. 

Did it Raise Excitement? Considering I thought the idea of this film was absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary before this trailer, I think this trailer did exactly what it needed to. Even though I don't think the acting nor the story are very strong, Pikachu (Ryan Reynolds) alone is enough to bring me to the theaters (for now) on this one. I'm very much looking forward to this now. 

Trailer Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment