Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Once Upon a Deadpool - Trailer 1 Review

Once Upon a Deadpool - Trailer 1 Review



The first trailer for Once Upon a Deadpool, the first PG-13 iteration of the Merc with a Mouth, has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: I had no expectations for this. I honestly thought that this was a heap gimmick to get more people to buy into the Fox-Marvel IP before the Fox/Disney was finalized. I was so wrong.

This trailer is one of the best pieces of marketing that I've ever seen. Granted, I don't know why I should be this surprised, considering that some of the OTHER best pieces of marketing that I've seen have come from Deadpool and Deadpool 2. But this trailer does not skip a single beat in hammering the PG=13 gags.

I love the classic Ryan Reynolds-opening narration that immediately tells you what you're in for. And the gags with Fred Savage, with the exact recreation from The Princess Bride is insane. The attention to detail just for the sake of a gag is insane. And the Up joke brought a huge grin to my face. 

This really does seem like a test run for Marvel and Disney to see whether or not a Deadpool movie can work in PG-13. And while it may work much better in R, there is no indication that this cannot work extremely well as well. Looking at the marketing, the typical irreverent humor, and cynical humor, I think this movie has the potential to strike it big when it hits theaters. 

Did it Raise Excitement? ABSOLUTELY. 

Trailer Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment