Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Monday, April 2, 2018

Top Ten #9 - Top Ten Most Likely Avengers to Die in Infinity War

Top Ten #9 - Top Ten Most Likely Avengers to Die in Infinity War



With promises from Kevin Feige and Robert Downey Jr. of real stakes and perhaps some key deaths in the upcoming third Avengers film, we're here to predict who's most likely to fall at the hands of the Mad Titan come April 27th. 

10. Black Widow - Many make the argument that because Black Widow will have her own solo movie in the future, she is safe. However, I maintain that that movie will take place almost entirely in the past. I think that simply saying that she has her own movie coming up does not make her safe. I feel out of the Avengers running across the Wakandan field in the end of the first trailer, she is the one least likely to make it out of a huge battle of Outriders alive. I think that on paper, she is a sure lock to bite it - it just depends on what the writers want to do with her. 

9. War Machine - As much as I think that Widow is about to bite it, War Machine is an even better bet, if only slightly. I think that despite having an Iron Man suit, on paper he makes more sense to stay alive. However, as opposed to Widow (who, on paper is a lock to die but perhaps not narratively), Rhodes on paper is nearly indestructible - but it may make sense for him to die for the story. The one hesitation I have is that they almost killed him in the last one, and it may feel a little cheap if he bites the dust, but who knows. 

8. Iron Man - Out of the big three (Iron Man, Thor, Cap - Hulk is safe because of his arc in Avengers 4), I think Thor is also pretty safe being the king of Asgard moving forward. However, Tony I think is at considerable risk to bite the dust. Having carried the Avengers for the past 10 years, it would have one of the biggest emotional impacts throughout the movie. It would hit the hardest seeing on the fan-favorites fall, and at this point, I wouldn't put it past the Russos to do it. 

7. Pepper Potts - As much as I think Tony would die, I also think that Pepper is even more likely to die. The one hesitation I have about Pepper dying is that I don't know how they would fit that into such a crowded movie as it doesn't make much narrative sense. But again, it makes completely sense in the respect that it would fuel Tony throughout the film. If it were to happen, it would happen ver early on, pushing Tony throughout the rest of the film. 

6. Vision - Everyone's favorite pick to die, I would put a hold on those thoughts. I think that yes, on paper, he is a huge lock to die. After all, he has an Infinity Stone in his forehead. But this could be a giant red herring. I am under the thought that this is a huge misdirection and Shuri will help get it out of his head before the end of the film. He's on the list because again, on paper, it makes the most sense that he dies, but I wouldn't bet on it.

5. Drax - The Destroyer has already vanquished Ronan the Accuser with the help of the Guardians, but as stated at the end of the first Guardians films, "It's Thanos who I'm really after". I wouldn't put it past Drax at all to see him try to tackle Thanos one-on-one at some point in the film, only to be absolutely outmatched. 

4. Nebula - Nebula is another character whose motivations seem to warrant a death at the hands of her adoptive father. The rage that fuels her is completely centered around her hatred for her father, and I think that her rage may blind her at some point in the movie, which may be fatal for her. 

3. Wong - While many of you may not have thought of him to die, when you really do think about it, he's an obvious choice. Doctor Strange doesn't really need the character in the future, and it would be a fitting sacrifice if he dies in the beginning of the movie. 

2. Scarlet Witch - As much as I want to buy into the theory that Vision is going to die, I think what may be even more likely is that Scarlet Witch may fall trying to protect him. Losing one fo the most powerful, strong female characters would be a huge blow, but at the same time, it makes such narrative sense to have her die at some point trying to protect her love.

1. Captain America - The First Avenger might be the first of the big three to make his exit. Again, I don't know what's going on with the set photos in Avengers 4, but I am going to assume that they're flash backs or time travel of some sort because of the old costume. In this film? I think he's a lock to die. I think that the evidence all points to it, and I believe that as much as Tony's death would have an impact, Steve dying would be such a huge blow to fans around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment