Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Shazam - Official Teaser Trailer Review ISDCC)

Shazam - Official Teaser Trailer Review (SDCC)



The first trailer for Shazam has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: No one really saw this trailer coming. We all knew the Aquaman trailer was coming, but then DC dropped the first trailer for Shazam.

While many people have been praising the film's use of comedy and lightness, I'm going to be quite honest; I don't like it. It's not a bad trailer by any means, and honestly the comedy looks like it will work. That's not my issue. My issue is the look of the film. 

I've seen this trailer a few times, and every single time, I had no idea what felt off. The tone was fine, the characters were fine, the comedy was fine. Then it hit me; this film felt like a TV episode. The sets felt cheap, the costumes felt cheap, the way it was shot feels cheap, nothing about this trailer feels cinematic. Which is fine... except that 50 million + AT LEAST was put into this movie and this is what you come up with?

On top of that, there are so many cliches from this trailer, like fish out of water, or boy who is bullied, or boy moving to foster homes. It just feels so generic. That's the only way I can describe the trailer.

But to end on a positive note, Levi looks good in the role (the costume is still eh for me). His kid friend looks cool, too, and the robbery scene looks fun, although I'm not sure if it was good to reveal in the trailer. 

Did it Raise Excitement? I'm going to say no. I didn't quite know what to make of this movie when it was announced, and this film feels cheap and meant for TV. I'm not quite excited; it looks like it'll be a goofy kid's cartoon for two hours. 

Trailer Rating: 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment