Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Aladdin - Special Look Review

Aladdin - Special Look Review




A special look at Aladdin has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: I love Disney. I love the new Disney live-action remakes. Not being a child at the time the animated films were huge, I don't have the same nostalgia that a lot of people have for these movies BUT I am able to enjoy them as modern retellings of classic films. So when a new one is announced and cast, and sent into production, I'm always optimistic. The Jungle Book in particular has been one of my favorite Disney films of recent years.

So when Aladdin was announced, I was excited. I knew that Aladdin was a rich story that could be developed into a great movie in live-action. The first teaser barely gave us anything though. It gave us a couple shots of the Cave of Wonders and Aladdin, but other than that, nothing to go off. So this was the first substantial piece of footage that we got.

And it was alright.

I will say that the marketing for this film is not helping the movie's case at all. The editing is wildly inconsistent and the tone that they're trying to give is epic, dark, gritty, yet fantastical, and humorous at the same time. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

There really wasn't much new footage at all either; just an extended shot of the cave with Jafar. His voice wasn't nearly as off-putting as a lot of people seemed to think, but it wasn't the Iago I was expecting. I did expect a level of menace and terror from the antagonist of the movie, and maybe he will bring it come May. But for the very short amount of time we saw him in the trailer, it wasn't very good at all.

We also saw our first look at Genie, played by Will Smith. Now, I will say that I don't hate him nearly as much as a lot of people online do. I don't think the CGI is great, nor is the design itself, but it doesn't immediately take me out of the footage. But I don't see the Genie either. I see Will Smith, painted blue, trying to be quirky, and that's not difficult to do. 

Really, there isn't anything going for this movie but charismatic actors and good source material. I still whole-heartedly believe this film will be good. There is potential beyond the poor marketing team. But I'm not seeing it. And forgive me for being a little worried. 

Did it Raise Excitement? I wouldn't necessarily say I'm any less excited for the movie than before. This special look is consistent withe rest of the marketing. There's much to be desired, and pacing, editing, and tone of the marketing, but at least it's consistently inconsistent. I still think buried beneath the trailers is a great movie; but the trailers aren't doing Disney any favors. 

Trailer Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment