Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Monday, April 15, 2019

Toy Story 4 - Official Trailer Review

Toy Story 4 - Official Trailer Review




The official trailer for Toy Story 4 has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: I've asked the question and I'll say it again; why was this film necessary? I don't know. I think that there was some justification that went on inside the Pixar studios to cover up the fact that they wanted to go for another billion dollars. 

I digress. If the film is good, I'll be the first to say it.

This trailer shows us more of the tone and the story of film. It shows our characters as they traverse the outside world. We get to see more of the new addition, Sporky, as he goes through an existential crisis. We also see the grand return of Bo Peep as she shows Woody there's a bigger world outside than in Bonnie's room.

I would be absolutely idiotic to deny that there is huge potential in these characters and this storytelling team to pull off something fantastic. That's not really the point. I think the Pixar team would need to deliver nothing short of near perfection (which, by the way, was Toy Story 3) to show WHY this movie needed to be made. The film can still be amazing, and I will still come out of the theater saying "that was great, but it didn't need to happen". This trailer delivered those vibes for me; I sat down and after it was over, I said to myself, "That was fine, but why was that necessary?"

The film can really do nothing to change my mind at this point. Which is fine. I'm just being upset, and I'll get over it. When this film comes out, I'll judge it on its merits. But for now, these are the things that I'm thinking about. 

Did it Raise Excitement? I suppose a little bit. This was certainly better than those gag trailers that had been released before, and that's encouraging. But not by much. 

Trailer Rating: 3.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment