Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Teaser Review

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Teaser Review




The first teaser for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: Honestly, my love of Star Wars had begun to fizzle out in the past months. I think that with the recent backlash with The Last Jedi and the lackluster performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, I began to realize that being a Star Wars fan doesn't mean the same thing that it used to. So a lot, at least to me, was riding on this trailer. 

And for what it's worth, even though this isn't the best trailer in the world, I'm starting to wake up and come back. The weirdest thing happened to where I watched the trailer for the first time and thought, "alright, I'm not that interested still".

Then I kept watching it to see if I could pick up on little details, and I began to remember what it was like to be a Star Wars fan. Especially now, living in the culture of comic book movies and blockbusters not named Star Wars, I think that this trailer was the best thing to happen for this franchise.

While this trailer doesn't show us much, it shows us enough. It shows Rey in a desert planet, perhaps Tatooine, or even Jakku, as she flips over a TIE Fighter. We don't see who's piloting the fighter, but it could be many people; it could be a test from Luke, it could be Kylo, it could even be Palpatine (more on that later). 

We then cut to a montage of shots backed by the iconic Leia's theme (may she Rest in Peace), and we get to see Lando Calrissian again, in the cockpit of the Falcon. I'm not quite sure what role he's going to have, other than fan service, but whatever it is, bring it on. We'll see if his role really does service the story.

After some other intriguing shots, like Kylo repairing his helmet and killing someone on what looks like Endor, we finally see a shot with the entire new cast together, staring over the ocean where the wreckage of the Death Star is looming in the horizon.

Then we hear it. Palpatine's evil cackle bursts onto the scene and we get he title: The Rise of Skywalker. We'll discuss what we think it means in a future post, but for now, I think this was just enough to peak the audience's interest and let them know that a Star Wars movie is coming, and it's going to be big. 

Did it Raise Excitement? Absolutely. It raised intrigue and curiosity and I think I'm back on board with the direction that the Star Wars franchise is going. 

Trailer Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment