Check Out the Latest

Knives Out - Review: A Modern Take on a Classic Genre

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Toy Story 4 - Super Bowl Spot Review

Toy Story 4 - Super Bowl Spot Review




The Super Bowl TV Spot for Toy Story 4 has arrived. Does it deliver? 

Thoughts: I have been adamant and vocal of my dislike of this film. The very idea and notion that this film is being made is ridiculous. Why would Disney and Pixar choose to reopen a book that was shut in the most beautiful, poetic, and emotional way possible. Why would you return to this franchise? This is one franchise that a billion dollars does not justify. 

And yet, the fourth film is here. I'll be the first one to say that no matter how low my expectations are, if the film is good, I'll be the first to sing its praises. But in the months leading up to Toy Story 4, I need to see in the marketing why this film's story needs to be told. Why did you need to dig up this franchise again? What was so important that the Pixar creative team came back together for this fourth installment?

I'll tell you that this trailer doesn't do this movie any favors. If anything, this teaser makes this film seem even more pointless and useless.

This teaser is essentially another gag, with new characters Ducky and Bunny (Key and Peele) making a fool out of Buzz Lightyear, until he eventually makes a fool out of them. Great. Make a Pixar short about Woody and Buzz going to a carnival. Now I know, this is only thirty seconds of a two-hour-length film. I understand. But if this is the kind of promotional material Pixar wants to put to the public, I have no choice but to judge it on that merit. 

What is the point of this movie? A plastic spork and a carnival? Pixar seems to think so.  

Did it Raise Excitement? Somehow, I'm even less excited about this film after seeing this. It's not by much, no, but this teaser did nothing to help this film's case. Again: why is this necessary? I want to see elements of a story that seems like it is worth telling, not Key and Peele antagonizing Buzz Lightyear at a carnival. 

Trailer Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment